Links from my workshop at TCEA: Unleashing Creativity: Web 2.0 Tools for Creativity and Innovation
Group Discussion: http://todaysmeet.com/randy
- Sir Ken Robinson shares a great story about discovering creativity.
- Okay Go music video utilizes a Rube Goldberg machine in an incredible way!
- PS22 shows one of their beautiful demonstrations of the power of music in education.
- Wallwisher –set up a wall for brainstorming, collaborating online.
- Twiddla –create free, collaborative whiteboard spaces online.
- Solvr –easy site lets users post a problem, then participants propose solutions.
- Mindmeister –easy collaborative brainstorming, graphic organizer tool.
- Thinklinkr –create/share collaborative outlines.
- Mindomo –online mind-mapping/brainstorming.
- Diagrammr –create simple diagrams for ideas by just writing sentences.
- CoSketch –collaborate through drawing; includes ability to incorporate Google Maps.
- DecideAlready –share a question/problem, propose a solution, and let participants vote on best ideas.
- Bubbl.us –collaborative mind map creation tool; easy, Flash-based interface.
- Creately –create collaborative diagrams, mind maps, flow charts, etc. with drag-and-drop interface; free version allows up to 3 collaborators and 5 diagrams.
- ArtPad –easy-to-use tool for creating art online.
- Scribbler –turns simple online sketches into cool works of sketch art.
- Pixlr –great online photo editing tool, similar to Photoshop.
- Citrify –another Pixlr-like photo editor.
- BuildaMosaic –create photo mosaics using images from your computer or Facebook account.
- Photoshop –online, scaled-down version of Adobe’s powerful image editing tool.
- Queeky –create online paintings, then play back as video.
- Picassohead –create Picasso-style portraits online.
- Mugtug –really nice, easy-to-use online drawing/painting tool.
- GoAnimate4Schools –education version of a wonderful animation creation tool.
- Aviary Phoenix –photo editing site with some really nice, innovative tools. (One attendee mentioned this is part of Google Apps for education, as well!)
- Splashup –another good, free Photoshop-style photo editor.
- Fashionplaytes –site lets girls design and even order their own clothing.
- Garmz –users can contribute their own fashion designs, which, if liked by viewers, will be produced, sold, and profits shared with the creators.
- YourStudio –nice online drawing/painting tool with a variety of brushes, textures, etc.
- Pixenate –easy to use web-based photo editor; images can be saved or uploaded directly to Flickr.
- Myoats –Unique online drawing tool with a variety of features, including a mirroring effect that produces wonderful geometric designs.
- Soundation –create and share music with a click-and-drag interface.
- Noteflight –write music, hear it played, and share it online.
- JamStudio –create and share music online using a variety of instruments. (One attendee shared that they were, at one time, offering free education accounts–haven’t verified, but worth checking out!)
- Kisstunes –online piano keyboard lets users create/share music; site is undergoing re-design, but worth keeping an eye on.
- Buttonbeats –online keyboard plus quite a few other music creation tools. Site is cluttered, but worth a look.
- Aviary Music Creator –create, share, and download music using click-and-drag interface.
- LoopLabs –online tool lets users mix music using a variety of tracks/effects.
- MusicFont –interesting site turns text into music.
- Ujam –social music creation and sharing site; includes song templates that can be modified into new compositions.
- Floorplanner –create 2D and 3D floor plans online. Free version gives 1 design per account.
- Classroom Architect –design the ultimate classroom with a click-and-drag interface.
- Golem Game –lets users create animated physics simulations and designs.
- Google Sketchup –Google’s free 3D design tool (download); be sure to contact TCEA for free pro account code!
- Architect Studio 3D –site lets users design a house online; great twist is that it requires them to take into account the needs/preferences of the future resident.
- Homestyler –really easy tool for designing floor plans using a click-and-drag interface with lots of options.
- By Kids For Kids –site features variety of student competitions.
- InventAmerica –national contest for young innovators/inventors.
- Intel Science Talent Search –science innovation competition offering hundreds of thousands in scholarships.
- Exploravision –k-12 science competition from Toshiba.
- US First –invention contest sponsored by Lego.
- Edison Innovation Awards –competition honoring inventors from grades k-12.
- Life Jacket Design –annual contests offers $500 for innovative life jacket designs.
Additional Sites Recommended by Attendees
- Picnik –really nice photo editor with some great effects; integrated into Flickr, too.
- Xtranormal –one of my favorite animation tools. Attendee shared that teachers can email the site for free user points–cool!
- Phixr –simple photo editing tool with plenty of options for most users without being overwhelming.
- PhotoFunia –choose from a variety of special effects to add to photos.
Edit note: I apologize for broken/incorrect links. They should be fixed now.